Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Apple Treasure Cookie Quest - Part 2

A few posts ago I lamented about New York foods I could not find here in the South. Well, I am happy to say that I am now well acquainted with my old friend, the Apple Treasure Cookie. I found a recipe online that sounded close to what I wanted to create, I just had to tweek it here and there. I substitued shortening for the butter, because the cookie needed to have a cake-like texture, and butter would make more of a crispy cookie. And, instead of buying many jars of spices, only to languish in my cupboard forever, I bought a tin of pumpkin pie spice, and it worked perfectly.

The ingredients.

Raw cookies.

Baked cookies.

Cookie about to go in my belly.


Scooter celebrating my cookie success.

Now, the cookies don't look sexy, but trust me, they are gooooood, and your house will smell awesome, and they freeze beautifully, so make a bunch and freeze them. Here's the recipe:


Apple Treasure Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
6 ounces chocolate chips
1 cup diced apple
1 cup unsalted peanuts, halved

Cream shortening, sugar, molasses and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop spoonfulls on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 12-15 minutes (or longer depending on how big your spoonfulls are).

4 comments:

Carlita said...

Um, are there any of these left...?

wonderbitch said...

Alas there are none left, but I could always make some more!

We Are Never Full said...

i often get upset to think about leaving new york only to find that i can not cook anymore b/c all of the ingredients that were easy to get aren't so easy to get anymore! is it just a new york thing?

wonderbitch said...

New York is just such a wonderful melting pot. I completely agree about the ease in finding ingredients. It can be a challenge to find certain items, but with the world getting smaller, courtesy of overnight mail and the intertubes, and a new World Market that opened nearby. Some things are attainable.

I am so happy that I can find Hob Nobs at the World Market. It is the best choco-oatmeal cookie ever!