Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Library Book Club

So, I went to my first meeting of the Third Thursday Library Book Club in my hood. I gotta tell you, I was a bit nervous. The book that we read, Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo, was big, and very intense. Not at all like the books that I usually read, but it's good to stretch your brain muscles.

I wondered if what I said would be valid, would these fellow clubbers be super brainiacs, who thought their opinion was THE opinion to have? I walked into the library, clutching the tome, and walked to the conference room.

It was a lovely experience y'all. The group was all ladies, although there are members of the opposite sex. They were all shapes, colors and ages, and had interesting points of view. I was not shy at all. I said what was on my mind, and people listened and commented. It was a great time, and after an hour we were done.

I have the next book that the club is reading, called Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. I think I am really going to dig being a member of the club, because I am going to read things I probably would never have given a second glance, and it is nice to have something that is entirely my own, even though I love the time I spend with my husband.

No comments: