Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Man....this book made me angry.  Tess gets raped, has a baby that subsequently dies.  Tries to live a quiet life, knowing that Victorian standards have made her an undesireable marriage partner.  Then, a dood totally crushes on her, she resists and resists, tries to tell him her terrible past, which he does not allow, and then after they are finally married, she has the opportunity to tell him, and does, and he shuns her.

So flipping angry at this  book.

I won't give away the ending, but it is not a happy one.  Granted, the prose was extremely pretty.  Thomas Hardy had his way around a sentence, and he did know lots of 50 cent words, but still, this book hacked me off.

But, I'm still glad I read it.  I am very happy with this project.  I feel like I am learning a lot, and that is exactly what I wanted to happen.

So, I picked yet another random number, and I am reading The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine.

"These are the times that try men's souls."  Powerful.  People just don't talk like that anymore.  We are losing creativity whilst delving deeper and deeper into social comfort and convenience.   And I am writing that sentence on a blog.  We have come full circle.

No comments: